Monday 5 December 2016

Mondays Matter #1

I'm going to let you in on a secret...I kind of love Mondays. I like beginnings and possibility and I'm never more organized or prepared for the week ahead than I am on Monday. When I was in university a friend and I had a tradition where we emailed each other every Monday. It came about as camp for that summer was wrapping up and we started to talk about how to make the camp magic all year. We would write a little update post to each other and mention a few things we were nervous or worried about for the upcoming week and I always looked forward to having that e-mail to read when I finished class on Monday. In Blogland Mondays are for weekend recaps with lots of photos and tales of adventure...except that my weekends aren't always full of exciting experiences. 

So I'm going to try something a little different and bring back Mondays Matter for those weeks when my weekends aren't particularly noteworthy and I still want to blog. A little bit of reflection on Monday morning to start the week off on the right foot. 



1. Maybe it's just me but it feels like blogging has turned a corner and lately there have been some pretty awesome posts that are focused on real life and not shilling products. These three in particular have still given me food for thought almost two weeks later:  While You're Waiting by Alyssa, Be Thankful For Your Choices by M. and What's Changed by Erin.

2. Earlier this week I was sorting through some things and trying to be a more organized human and while I was trying to jam multiple 12x12 scrapbook albums on a shelf that I assume measures 11.99x11.99 I did some quick math in my head and realized that camp has been part of my life for 19 years. I spent 10 years as a camper, followed by 4 years as a counsellor and summer director and just finished my fifth year in an assistant director position. Those 19 years span five different camps and at least six different job titles and have given me endless tales of (mis)adventure. And even if this most recent job opportunity doesn't pan out I still am forever grateful that I have a passion and know what it is without a doubt.

3. I re-watched the final season of How I Met Your Mother this weekend for the first time since it aired and I'm still undecided about how I feel about the ending. I am decided that I'm not much of a Lily fan and that I would marry Ted Mosby in a heartbeat. 

4. I'm trying not to get myself all out of sorts for my interview on Thursday but I'm not having a lot of success. I recognize that it's not the be all and end all, but I'm also just so ready to move on and be done with the uncertainty. 

5. I have studied every news article, watched every YouTube video, viewed every photo and read every tweet produced by/about the organization I want to work with, I hope it pays off but there's really no guarantee. If nothing else I can tell you that I'm confident these are my people based on the appearance of a creepy sun logo peeking through on one of their buildings, a hilarious kijiji ad offering to trade excess furniture for program supplies and a shed repurposed for program space.  

6. I need to start work on 2017's 52x52 list, I've completed slightly less than half of 2016's list, hopefully there's time to squeeze in a few more but I'm not overly hung up on it. It was my first attempt at such a project and I was kind of making up the rules as I went along. Next year I will do a much better job at keeping track of things and making the list a little more balanced.

7. Last year I only mailed a few Christmas cards but this year I'm going to up my game. I'm not going totally overboard but I let myself buy a new package of cards as long as I promised myself to mail all 16 cards so that's a thing that needs to happen this week. 

8. Mondays Matter emails always ended with a quote for the week, so I'm going to keep with that sentiment and end with this one I came across last week:

Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment