Saturday 26 September 2015

Blogtember 2015: Recent Reads

First off I am supper excited that I met my goal of reading four books this month! I think the biggest difference is that I've really started cracking down on my bedtime routine this month and I've been reading for close to half an hour each night before bed. Plus, I squeezed in some extra reading time on some of the last sunny summer days.


The Book of Negroes. This was by far the best book I read this month. I gave it a full five stars on Goodreads, I've recommended it to a handful of people and I honestly think it's a book everyone should read. It's a pretty thick book and I didn't think I would finish this month but I couldn't get enough. The only time I put it down was when I felt so overwhelmed by the story that I needed to take a break and absorb what I was reading. I watched the CBC mini-series based on the book when it aired last fall so I had a basic understanding of the plot. The mini-series was phenomenal and I was a little worried the book wouldn't live up to my expectations. I was dead wrong though. I would love to discuss this book with a group!

Primates of Park Avenue. A few years back I watched Nursery University and was fascinated that this is the way some people live their lives and this is the way children are being raised. This book was an unofficial prequel to the movie in a lot of ways. It gave me insight on just how that kind of culture is formed and the pros and cons of the whole thing. It was an interesting read, although it did read more like a research paper at times, but considering the authors background and premise of the book that's to be expected. I think this book is worth a read if you're interested in learning about different parenting styles or books about culture/society. 

Yes Please. I really hate to admit this, but I was disappointed. I couldn't relate to any of Amy's tales of partying and drug use and I'm really not interested in who she has/hasn't slept with. That being said there were some spectacular chapters, especially when she wrote about being a mom to her two boys. I'm glad I read it because Parks & Rec. is a wonderful show and I do like Amy Poehler, she does some cool things. I couldn't help but compare it to Tina Fey's Bossypants. And I loved Bossypants. I've read it a couple times and will probably read it again in the future. It's probably unfair of me to compare the two books but it happened and Yes Please felt short for me in a lot of ways. Not a terrible book but I'm glad I borrowed it from the library and didn't spend my own money to buy a copy.

Rescuing Julia Twice. I'm not a parent, and even when I am a parent I will do my best not to judge other people's parenting choices. Now that I've said that disclaimer...this book made me feel awkward. I would love to find someone else who has read this book and who has watched the documentary The Dark Matter of Love because some serious good discussion would ensue. I don't really know what else to say about this book that's constructive. It was a unique perspective. Again, another library read and not a book I would ever buy. 

The Giver. I had never read this book. In elementary school we read a lot of local books, in junior high it was never a book my class read and in high school I was in a totally different stream of English and really didn't read any of the classic high school books. This was definitely a lower reading level, I got through the whole book in a day, but it did keep my interest. I don't want to give anything away but I did think the colour thing was fascinating. As far as dystopian society books go this was a good read. I can see why it's taught in classrooms and I'm glad that I can now say I've read The Giver.

I'm setting my goal to read 5 books in October! Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is the first book on my to read list for the month. And I've already begun Call the Midwife: Shadows of the Workhouse. I'm not sure what else I'll read, I'd love to hear some suggestions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment