Monday 20 January 2014

Day of Acceptance

Today is being promoted as the International Day of Acceptance by an amazing grassroots company called 3E Love. So today I'm joining people around the world to embrace diversity, educate people about disabilities and empower each other.


Over the past few years I've gotten to meet so many wonderful people (mostly through camp) who have a range of disabilities. I've always known that people were more than their disabilities and not at all defined by the way in which they move or speak but I'm still learning. Each summer I get to interact with more and more campers who are continuously showing me new ways to do things and shattering any lingering stereotypes. 

To today I'm spreading the love and acceptance. Please take the time to get to know the people around you regardless of what they look like, how they speak, how they move (or don't move). Some of the funniest people I know are unable to communicate through speaking. They use spelling boards and their eyes to interact with the world around me, and trust me they interact. But you would probably never know that if you just passed them on the street. 

I don't think I've ever given blog homework before but this is a topic near and dear to my heart so I'm doing it anyway! In honour of International Day of Acceptance I'm going to encourage you all to take a few short minutes out of your day to read about Wheelchair Etiquette. Maybe you're already familiar with some of these things but maybe you'll learn something new. And a little common courtesy goes a long way towards inclusion, acceptance and making the world a better place! 

No comments:

Post a Comment