Monday 6 January 2014

Housewife Without A Husband

This weekend revolved around three main activities: baking/cooking, reading and miscellaneous housework.

Saturday I made cinnamon rolls and read the entirety of The Fault of Our Stars. Now, I'm about to say something that is going to offend the masses, but I'm saying it anyway. I did not enjoy the book. I disliked it. I've read a lot of young adult novels (they're my favourite) and I know everyone is raving about the book. Counting down the days until the movie is released. But I didn't get it. I think it had potential, I wanted to like it and at times I thought it was about to get better, but it didn't. I could go on but for fear of a hoard of angry bloggers showing up at my door with pitchforks demanding I proclaim my love for Hazel & Gus I'll stop.

Moving along.


Sunday I spend a lot of time laying on the couch and finished reading The Pioneer Woman's book Black Heels to Tractor Wheels.  And I absolutely loved every word. I did see some pretty negative reviews about it and I can see how people who aren't into reading blogs would find it annoying to read. The format was very much like a whole lot of blog posts put together to create a longer story, which I happened to really love. Plus, it's a love story, and I'm a sucker for a good love story. 

Saturday cinnamon rolls! Cinnamon rolls & coffee are a match made in heaven. 


I fully admit to being in a big ol' rut the last few days. Call it a pre-quarterlife crisis (full quaterlife crisis coming your way January 19) or The 20 Something Blues, either way it's been rough. But for some reason once I finished reading all about The Pioneer Woman and Marlbolo Man tale of romance and adventure I felt a surge of productive energy and had to get to work. By work I mean I showered and used a wide array of scented bath products. (Not that I hadn't been showing before, but I tend to conserve my "fancy" body wash for when I have somewhere to be other than my house. This time I held nothing back.) Then I proceeded to get dressed in something that wasn't jogging pants from my days in residence and a staff hoodie that is two sizes too big. (Before you picture me parading around my house in a little black dress and wearing pearls let me clarify that "dressed up" in this case indicates leggings, wool socks, tank top and fitted zip up hoodie. I didn't totally lose my mind.) I even put on a coat of mascara. Just for good measure.

Now that I was all dressed up and had nowhere to go I needed something to do. I was still feeling inspired my the perfectly un-perfect life of PW so I opted to try out her recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies. I was hesitate about the coffee, but then decided PW is not to be questioned so I went for it (I did opt out of the flax seeds) and they did not disappoint!

While the cookies baked I did a load of laundry, a sink full of dishes and decided what we would have for supper.

After supper was all finished I helped clean up, watched a bit of the news and then Skyped with R.. When she asked what I had been up to all day my response was "housewife stuff", except I'm not a wife, so...just domestic things. Then she made a joke about how much I love being domestic, and we laughed, because she gets me.



I don't watch The Bachelor because I find it depressing. And I flat out don't get Downton Abbey. I watched the first three episodes dozens of times and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get into it. I love historical fiction, Road to Avonlea is one of my favourite shows but DA is a huge nope in my books. For once the rest of the world is glued to their TVs while I am not. Instead I snugged under freshly washed sheets and a pile of blankets and got to work on my reading pile.

3 comments:

  1. Some people in my family don't get or like Downton Abbey. I'd have to say it got a LOT better after the first season. I'm one of the addicted ones. And domesticity is fun! I almost feel like making cookies today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being domestic is fun, married or not. :) I've been wanting to read The Fault In Our Stars; I appreciate your review. And I agree Cinnamon rolls + coffee = <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get the downtown abbey craze.

    ReplyDelete