Tuesday 9 April 2013

I Have Called You By Name

The past couple of weeks have been pretty rough. It wasn't any one particular life altering event, just a combination of little jabs that had me feeling pretty down about life.

I won't bore anyone with the details of several lead up stories but to summarize I was feeling pretty angry and upset with circumstances that I know are out of my control. The climax of the whole thing was when a lovely lately who happened to be sitting next to me during a course I was taking for camp struck up this conversation with me.

  • Lovely Lady (LL): I find this so interesting! Have you done this course before?
  • Me: No, I'm familiar with a lot of the material though because of my job. 
  • LL: Oh, what do you do?
  • Me: I'm an assistant camp director at *camp*
  • LL: And you do that year round?
  • Me: Right now it's seasonal and during the rest of the year I kinda volunteer and work on planning the next summer. I have a degree in Recreation and Religious Studies so I plan to work in Camp Ministry full time. 
  • LL: Oh...well that doesn't sound like a very good way to make a living.

...Thanks for your opinion, person who I just met three hours ago that knows absolutely nothing about my life. 

I don't know why that conversation stuck with me, but a few days later I was still thinking about it and a million other things that were floating around in my head. And then I came across this blog post by Beth Moore. And I felt better instantly.

Because even though life isn't unfolding the way I planned everything is happening for a reason and I am SO SO SO SO SO blessed and lucky and thankful that I do know exactly what I want to do. I love camp. It's as plain and simple as that. The truth is some people will never find that thing that they love, or they'll find it "too late" (whatever that means). I've known from the time I was 12 that camp was my favourite thing in the whole entire world. When I figured out I could make that my job; it was a good day.

The point of this whole ramble is that things are looking up. The snow is finally starting to disappear and the sky is more blue than grey. Summer is only 6 weeks away.

It's all going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment