Thursday 24 April 2014

Let There Be Light (But Mostly Shadows)

I was finally reunited with my camera this weekend after spending months and months apart. I didn't get to play with it as much as I would have liked because I was busy with family stuff and Easter things (mostly eating junk food in my jogging pants).  But I did take it out during Easter Dinner at my grandparents' house and took a few shots.

There are also a series of photos I've been referring too as "unphotogenic grandkids", which although on my camera I am not responsible for (I am one of said unphotogenic grandkids) that prove just how hard it is to get seven people between the ages of 24 and 9 to look at the camera and smile at the same time.

I wanted to take photos of the stack of lobster traps that were in my grandparents' backyard and when we first got there the lighting was awesome but I was being lazy and snapping away from the deck. I figured I'd have lots of time to take photos after dinner. But then of course the sun changed and when I returned it just wasn't in the right spot and my manual shooting skills aren't strong enough.

Before lunch, lovely bright colours, lots of potential.

After lunch, things looked much less bright and much more gloomy.


 
I made several attempts to capture the awesomeness of my cousin's camo boots against the snow and the traps but the shadows kind of thwarted my efforts.


The good news is that I have full access to my camera all the time and with summer coming there will be plenty of opportunities to practice and learn and get better. Depending on where life takes me in the fall I definitely want to look into taking a basic photography course somewhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment